Weekend Staycation

Every year since moving back home we have either gone to Florida for summer vacation or treated the children to a local hotel staycation for a few days.  This year however my husband and I decided to take some "us" time and chill at the Riu Hotel Ocho Rios.  Initially I worried about going to a hotel during the pandemic, but after watching Blogger and YouTuber Nella (AsToldByNella & Just Nella) talk about her stay at the Riu, I decided to take the leap.  Besides, with all of the home schooling I had been doing, I needed a little time away from the kids.

Courtesy of Motherhood & Things 2020

Sanitize, Sanitizing, Sanitized!

Upon entry there were two mats. One soaked with disinfectant which we were kindly asked to use to disinfect the bottom of our shoes.  Then we were directed to a mat to dry our shoes.  Next, temperature check.  There was a large digital thermometer on a stand in front of a 32 inch monitor.  Your temperature was checked and then you were ushered into the check-in line.  The floors were marked with red tape to indicate spacing between visitors.  With each customer interaction at the check-in desk, the counter was wiped down and sanitized.  This made for a somewhat lengthy check-in process, but I didn't mind.  The extra steps to ensure safety were more than welcomed.  Our check in was at 4pm however, we checked in a little earlier to a ready room.  While walking through the public spaces of the hotel there were more than enough staff going around gently reminding patrons to put their masks on all while continually wiping down surfaces.

Last year before the pandemic, the Riu Hotel had a face-lift.  Some upgrades included a slot just inside the room door for your room keycard in order to operate the lights, AC and television.  Upon removing the card all lights and electronics were automatically turned off.  Very good energy conservation upgrade.  The bathrooms received new tiling and shower spaces with an all in one head to toe soap dispenser.  No more little bottles of shampoo and conditioner to take home.  Personally all in one shampoo/body soaps are very unsettling to me.  Thank goodness I brought my old faithful Dr. Bronner's Perppermint Soap (which incidentally I use to wash my hair as well...LOL!).  We were given the heads up during check-in that part of the Covid19 measures included the minibar in the room not being stocked.  No problem, we could easily go to the sports bar and request every and anything that we needed.  From water bottles, to beer, wine and cocktails.  The one thing I did miss however, was my morning tea before I present myself to the world.  Normally the room would be outfitted with a little kettle and a small assortment of teas and coffee.  However, Covid19 measures deemed otherwise this trip.  

Courtesy of Motherhood & Things, 2020


We had a garden view from the third floor veranda which was lovely.  When we checked in we actually were given a room on the ground floor.  Thank goodness I requested a change.  At least I was able to enjoy somewhat of an ocean view.  The sunsets as always were amazing.  

Courtesy of Motherhood & Things, 2020






 



The room had at least two hand sanitizer dispensers and while walking through the halls and common areas there were tons of dispensers.  During my people watching sessions in the common areas after lunch I witnessed staff clean and sanitize chairs like their job depended on it!  They were watching like hawks each person who left their chair so they could swoop in and do their thing.  Once again, very impressive efforts. 

Activities & Fun In the Sun

As expected, activities were limited.  We were informed on the first night that there would be a "Covid19 Dance Party" and we should come with our mask and be prepared to maintain social distancing.  I watched in the evening as they marked the dance floor area with tape to ensure couples and individuals kept their distance.  You could tell that although things were "different", The Riu tried their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and maintain as many safe activities as possible.  Saturday morning exercise classes were held by the pool with guests having their own little red tape space to workout in the open.

A Dining Disappointment

I've been vegan for about 3 years now and normally when I go out (especially in Jamaica) I don't look to be catered to.  I suffer in silence at the table with my meat eating friends and family and order the lazy salad or vegetable side dish and keep it moving.  However, The Riu Hotel is an international establishment and I was disappointed that they didn't even have a veggie burger.  I was left to fill my plate with steamed cabbage and callaloo almost for the entire weekend.  I managed to have a few french fries here and there, but variety was not on the menu for me.  The first night my husband made a big stink about it (even though I didn't think it was necessary).  He requested to speak to the head chef at which point I was prepared a plate of tofu, steamed corn, broccoli and carrots.  As an aside, my husband used to work in the hotel/restaurant industry.  Back to the plate at hand.  I had my reasons for not wanting to make a fuss in the first place.  When I heard the chef say "oh she just eat fish", in response to my husband's statement that I was vegan, I knew it was gonna go all wrong.  I decided to walk away while my husband did the explaining.  What I ended up with is what you see below.  The tofu was barely grilled and not seasoned at all.  The broccoli was soggy and salty, the carrots had a funny taste and that little piece of zucchini was nauseatingly soft and mushy.  The corn was the only decent tasting thing on the plate.  That was the last time I let the staff know I was vegan.  I made due the rest of the stay.  Desert was a bust, but I felt vindicated when we took a little excursion to Ochie (downtown Ocho Rios) where I finally got to taste the popular Vineyard Town's Premium Non-Dairy Ice Cream.  Heaven at last!

Courtesy of Motherhood & Things, 2020

Keeping in line with safety measures, the dining staff separated the dining rooms and the food service area to cut back on the gathering of crowds.  Self-serve was not an option.  You couldn't even pick up your own plate.  The servers would handle your plate until your requests were fulfilled.  They also had prepackaged plates of fruit and salads.  Once again, I was very impressed with their Covid19 measures.  Well done!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay.  It was nice to not have my usual Motherhood responsibilities and took all the pride in the world at not making the bed.  It was liberating (😂)!  Huzzy and I would walk back to our room after breakfast with daiquiris in hand and just chill, watch Netflix and sleep only to wake up in time for lunch.  Call it what you will, but for parents of four children and my nephew....this was a blissful weekend.  Thanks Riu Ocho Rios.  To the chefs at the Riu, I would discuss some of my vegan dishes I make at home, but I'm gonna save that for when I open my own spot.


Comments

  1. Wow, I am impressed with the COVID-19 Dance Party and their consistent sanitising efforts. Commendable efforts, I should say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am impressed with the COVID-19 Dance Party and their consistent sanitising efforts. Commendable efforts, I should say

    SM
    www.mymindvoice.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. You are appreciated. I was very surprised at how the hotel really tried to keep guests engaged. It was a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post, I'm considering doing a staycation at a hotel for my bday just to switch up the scenery. I am a little nervous because of Covid but it is nice to hear others stories and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I honestly don't know if I would have chanced going to a hotel during the pandemic if I didn't come across another bloggers YouTube channel where she chronicled her visit to a hotel. I say stay safe and give it a try for your bday!

      Delete
  4. Hey thanks for the shout out :D I am happy that I could help ease some of your worries and I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your meals though. I find Jamaica, especially outside of Kingston, has yet to catch up with the idea of veganism or other dietary concerns. Hopefully, one day we'll see a major change in this. But I really enjoyed your post and you did a fabulous job of sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. As a vegan it is definitely tricky going out to dine, even just to grab a quick bite. Definitely Kingston has more options, but alas...I'm in the country. Thanks for the compliment. Being new to this platform I re-read my posts for days before I hit that "publish" button.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Changing My Health For The Better

Learning to Pivot: Finding My Space and Occupying It